Thursday, December 22, 2011

12/20/11: Peppermint Meringues

In the interest of trying to bake more healthily this Christmas season, I bookmarked this recipe for peppermint meringues on allrecipes.com. Not only did the featured picture make them look pretty, but these cookies only have egg whites, salt, cream of tartar, sugar, and candy canes, which means they contain no fat. (Can't say the same about the sugar content, though. Oh well, can't win 'em all.) So on Monday night, I baked up a batch. Since it was about midnight when I finished and I didn't want to mess with artificial light, I waited until the morning after to take pictures in the daylight.






I actually messed these up the first time (hence my "sad chemist" Facebook status). It was probably either because I added peppermint extract after I had already reached the soft peak stage or because I added the sugar too quickly. The second time, I left out the mint extract (turns out they're plenty minty on their own) and added the sugar more slowly, and that batch was much more successful. (That's how I ended up with four egg yolks for crepes instead of the two I would have had if I had only made this recipe once.)





I also made some Hershey Kiss-sized meringues.



Ultimately, this recipe was relatively simple (once I figured out how I was supposed to beat the egg whites), tasty (if you like mint, which I do), and fun to photograph. I may be making another batch or two of these very soon...

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...